Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Never Fade: Review

Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children’s League call Ruby “Leader”, but she knows what she really is: a monster. 

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children’s League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America’s children—and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts—has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flashdrive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future—and who now wouldn’t recognize her. 

As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam—and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart—she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself?


*This review may contain spoilers for The Darkest Minds.*

The firs thing you need to know about this book is that it is a fantastic sequel. When I had finished The Darkest Minds, I was left feeling a jumble of emotions. Same goes for this book. I will attempt to make this review as professional as possible, but I may go off at some points.

The Writing. Bracken's writing is very elongated or, as others may say, drags on. When I first started Never Fade I was excited to read it, but I admit, by about page 40 I was getting bored.(This may have to do with not being able to see Liam, though.) No, I am not saying it was boring. There was much fighting and action happening. It was just my inability to read about Liam personal problems. I'm also not saying Bracken's writing is terrible. In fact, I am very impressed by her writing. Her descriptions are awesome and very vivid. Yes, I think there may have been a little too many descriptions, but other than that, I love her writing.


The Plot. At the start of the book, you are placed sixth months after The Darkest Minds. Ruby has been doing dirty work for the League. The United States is as horrible place as ever.  You get to experience one of Ruby's "missions" from the bat. You also get to meet Liam's older brother, Cole, during one of these said missions. 
It's paced fairly nicely. Never too fast or never too slow.  At times, parts seemed to drag out, but I think that's due more to Bracken's writing style. There are many things that happened in this book, but I don't quite know what to say about them. Alot of action.
You are also introduced to minor characters, such as Vida, Jude, Alban, aka leader of the League, and many others. Many of them I hated at the very beginning, but during the book I started liking and understanding them a whole lot better. I also will not talk about Liam until the romance part. "raises eyebrows"

The Romance. Oh, yeah. After that killer of of ending from The Darkest Minds, I had to find out what would happen. Of course, I would have read the sequel even if that thing hadn't happened at the end. This is also the part where I get to talk about Liam.

The Characters. Ruby is a girl of many problems, I would say. She doesn't have much of a family. She was placed in the League, the last place she should go. Through it all, however, she is strong. Now, I'm not saying she's a strong fighter and blah, blah. I mean, she has a strong personality. I strong heart.(Yeah, it sounds as lame as when I said it out loud.) In this book, she struggles with many obstacles, but she always, I mean always, people, tries to remain a good person. That is one thing that I loved about her.

Chubs is shown a good deal in this book, a fact I was pleasantly surprised by. He is the same smart boy as ever, though changed, as many characters have grown and changed throughout the books. At the end of the first book, you really don't much about what has happened to Chubs, otherwise the fact that he went to a hospital. I was happy to know he turned out okay, but I wasn't happy about his recklessness when I first met him in this sequel. He was reckless for a certain reason which I shall not say. I will say though,  that I liked him better by the end.




Liam didn't show up until over half the book, which was sad which means he wasn't a very there figure. He was always talked about and stuff, but he never was actually in the picture. So, it was just kind of weird to actually have him show up. Not that I'm complaining.


I can't talk much about Liam, because it may spoil something. However, I can tell you he is very different in this book. If you read The Darkest Minds, you probably can guess why. But he is still very sweet and says the most swoon-worthy stuff ever.


The Ending.



Enough said.


Overall. I really enjoyed this book. It was filled with action and adventure. It had a sweet side of romance. A definite read if you're looking for just a really good action book. Or if you must find out what happened after The Darkest Minds ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!