Friday, April 11, 2014

We Were Liars: Review

16143347A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 
Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.






The first thing you need to know about this book is that it's sad, and Lockhart's stark writing style only makes it sadder. By sad, I mean crying/sobbing during the last pages. The ending was so unexpected in the worst and the best possible way. I very much applaud Lockhart for her set up.


This review is going to be short and sweet, because to get the full ride of this book, you have to go in there blind.

The characters in this book is the most, MOST important part of this book. If you have no connection with these characters, you will not have any connection with the book. However, I don't think it will be at all hard for you to connect with the characters. Each of them are different and unique. There's Johnny, who's at ease always and humorous, and then there's Mirren...sweet, sophisticated, and then there's Gat...perfect in all his faults.

Another important part is to just invest yourself in the book. But, if you enjoy the characters, again, it won't be hard to invest in the story along with the characters. Since the whole beginning and middle is a build-up for the ending, it's going to be slow-going at first, but trust me it's worth it.

Lastly, I'm going to admit that Lockhart's writing style is very stark and simple(I also know some of you probably won't like it at all). And at first, I was taken aback by some of the muddled words and sentences. But through the book, I learned that the writing style was a perfect fit for this book.

Overall, this is a MUST read. Please, do not pass up the chance to read this. That is all I need to say.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this and posted my review. It was the shortest review I've ever written! You just can't say much without giving something away. That would be horrible to the reader so like you I just had to express that this book was done wonderfully. I felt it was addicting and found it very hard to put down. great spoiler free review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!