Thursday, September 5, 2013

This Song Will Save Your Life: Review


This Song Will Save Your LifeMaking friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.












True fact: I prefer fantasy or action books about 10 times more than contemporary books, but after reading this book, I'm willing to say contemporaries are getting better each year. I mean, the only contemporaries that I have really enjoyed before this book was the Anna and the French Kiss series or the Perfect Chemistry series. Literally, those are the only ones I can think of at the moment. This Song Will Save Your Life was even better than those for me. You know why? Because this book could have been based off someone's life, because it was so damn(excuse my French, as some people say) real.

Elise, our protagonist, is your everyday music lover. Except for the fact that she has no friends, and cuts herself, once I might add. It's not like she's a depressed music lover, but she was different. She never fit in with any one. Until she meets Pippa and Vicky. And the club Start. Suddenly, she has a "boyfriend" and a few friends.

This book was nowhere perfect, but it was perfect for me. The writing was not quite beautiful, really more simple and easy, but I could easily relate to most everything Elise had to say. That's what made it perfect. Plus, it flowed nicely at a perfect pace.

The characters were written very well too. They each had their little quirks that set them apart from each other. Vicki was the fabulous singer, but also a smoker. Mel was the gay outspoken guy. Pippa was the slightly clingy girlfriend. Everyone of them had their faults, but that made it ten times better.

I think the ending was my favorite part of this book, and trust me, I had alot of favorite parts in this book. Why, you may ask. Well, it was realistic would be the most basic answer. But it also would have totally annoyed me if it hadn't ended like that(okay, it could have ended several different ways and I would still be happy). So, as it is, it was realistic, which just made me fall even more in love with the story.

Overall, a beautifully realistic contemporary. I loved the characters and how they each had their quirks. This author has some genius writing skills.

1 comment:

  1. I've been curious about this book as I've seen it around the blogosphere. Sounds interesting.

    I actually really like YA contemporary. But I think the ones I've liked the most have been the emotional ones (like Pushing The limits by Katie McGarry).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!