Saturday, April 27, 2013

The 5th Wave: Review



The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

 After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

 Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

( I read this awhile ago, so if I say something off, sorry!)

Review:
My first thoughts on this book were slightly wary, due to the aliens-take-over-the-Earth concept. It didn't seem highly original.
 I was taken completely by surprise.


Not only were the characters amazingly written and described. The plot was just...almost too good to be true.
Am I reading a ya book? Like, right now?

 Nothing in this book was cheesy, and this book doesn't focus on the romantic air, more of the dangerous air. However, even the romance was not cheesy( okay, maybe slightly...when isn't romance cheesy?). There was some sort of love-triangle thing going on that never fully developed, but honestly, that makes me excited for the sequel. Who knew I would ever say a love triangle would interest me?

Firstly, the beginning starts off with Cassie talking sorta of about the alien take over, and wonders if she is the last person alive. She lives in the woods, her family died, except her brother...the usual of apocalyptic books. It didn't have me convinced at first. Actually, I spent alot of time avoiding this book. Please stop threatening me! I know, it was cruel of me!


It's not like it was bad. It was actually very interesting. Like, I said, it started off talking about her new life/ old life, and then things get crazy. She kills a guy.

After that( somewhere around there), Yancey switches the view to her past life. It gives us deeper depth to how her old life was, and how normal it was: school, crushes, etc. But, that just shows how very different her life was compared to her new life.

Talking about the different views, throughout the novel, you get to see "Zombie", Cassie, and other minor character's views. I actually really enjoyed this. It was meant to keep you guessing how aliens think, and how humans think. Could you be able to see the difference?

 Trust me- after the first 100 pages, I was sucked into the action, trying to guess who was human, and who was not.

Now, my favorite part of this whole entire book, is the plot. I am baffled how well this author can plan out everything. Right when you thought you knew how things would pan out, things would get...interesting. I know I say that most plots I enjoy, but this ONE is just so truly amazing. If anything, buy this book just for the plot.


Now, I'm not going to say anything about anything related to the plot, because I'm afraid I may hint as what will happen. Just read the book!


See that gif? It is you agreeing with me :P

7 comments:

  1. This book hadn't really seemed like something that I would enjoy, but your review makes it sound so awesome and suspenseful, which I really enjoy. Definitely going to check this one now!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I really hope you end up enjoying it as much as I did! The plot twists "swoon"

      Delete
  2. Great review. I have been hearing wonderful things about this book! I can't wait to read it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have also read several awesome reviews from bloggers after I had finished it! It will definitely not disappoint you. And I don't say that lightly!

      Delete
  3. Okay, the "The Passage meets Ender's Game" in the into intrigued me, and then your surprised befuddlement at the positive impression made by a YA novel is what sealed the deal (I'm beginning to have that same reaction more and more when reading those kinds of books... maybe we can hope that the standards are just shifting higher in quality? :) ) Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, let us hope! This book truly did take me by surprise...mutiple times. Ugh, and the wait for the sequel! The ending left me wanting much, much more.

      Delete
  4. The plot was brilliant, right? It really made this book for me, too! I think there was a lot of things that could have gone wrong here, but the author did a great job doing such an exciting concept justice. I can't wait to see what happens next. :) Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!