Sunday, October 21, 2012

Review: The Boy Recession


The Boy Recession
Author:Flynn Meaney
Page number:256
Publisher:Poppy
Source:won through Goodreads First Reads

Description:
It's all about supply and demand when a high school deals with the sudden exodus of male students.

The boy recession has hit Julius P. Heil High, and the remaining boys find that their stock is on the rise: With little competition, even the most unlikely guys have a good chance at making the team and getting the girl. Guitar-strumming, class-skipping Hunter Fahrenbach never wanted to be a hot commodity, but the popular girls can't help but notice his unconventional good looks. With a little work, he might even by boyfriend material.

But for down-to-earth Kelly Robbins, the boy recession is causing all sorts of problems. She has secretly liked her good friend Hunter for a while now, but how can she stand out in a crowd of overzealous Spandexers?

As if dating wasn't hard enough without a four-to-one ratio!


Review:
I was really hesitant to read this book. I didn't have incredibly high hopes for it either. Why I didn't have high hopes you may ask? I haven't usually ended up liking straight-up romance books. I like books with a mixture of things like action and adventure with a bit of romance, but I haven't liked JUST romance books. This book turned out to be pretty enjoyable though. I really enjoyed the characters and it kept me laughing throughout the book. What I liked most about the book, though, was the pacing. It was perfect for me. They didn't immediately fall in love. They were friends for two years and just sorta got a crush on each other. It was believable, which is saying alot compared to other YA books.
Let me talk about the characters. Right away, I was annoyed about Hunter. He was lazy and had no ambition whatsoever! I have always hated those type of characters. But, later on I started liking him. He started picking up his act and he wasn't so bad anymore. I felt the opposite for Kelly. I loved her from the beginning, she was responsible and smart. The other characters were awesome also. They were very funny and likeable.
Overall, this book was very good. It was a funny, cute, and light read. It was a good break from the more serious, sad stuff.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!