Thursday, May 30, 2013

Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children: Review


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1)A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. 

As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason.

And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.






This book really didn't do anything for me. The beginning was intriguing but not anything exciting, the middle was so, so boring, and the ending just made me shrug and then cry out for joy because it was over.


Jacob, the main character, was- I don't even know what to say about him. He was so average. He didn't stand out to me, even with his "gifts." The second thing I didn't like about him. Well, perhaps this reason is more me, and not him. I couldn't understand him, whatever he did. I just felt like slamming my head against a wall whenever he did something stupid, which was alot.


Another thing that affects this book plenty for me was the writing. The writing was not great. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it was also average. It wasn't exciting, it didn't make me cry. Basically, all it did was make my eyes burn while reading it, because it was so boring...or at least 3/4th of this book.

Yet another thing that pissed me off about this book was the romance, if you can even call it that. Emma and Jacob meet. Emma hates Jacob for 2.5 seconds. then takes a one-180 and gets a crush on him. There's chemistry, apparently. I think Emma just missed Abe( Jacob's grandfather. Talk about wrong.), and decided the next best thing would be Jacob. I was dozing during this, seriously.

Like I said, this book was extremely boring for me, even if there was monsters that were creepy. The problem was, I didn't feel the creepiness. All I felt was boredom. The plot didn't help this feeling at all. Barely anything happens within page 20-page 300. I may be the only one that felt that way, honestly. However, I can't say I really loved this book because of  it.

I'm going to talk about the premise for a bit. The premise is actually really original and it is what caught my attention the most. There's kids with powers and a time-travel thing. After reading the book, I just can't say that I enjoyed how the author wrote about the premise. It wasn't as boring as the other parts, but it just didn't stand out like other people's books with worse premises.

The thing that I did love was the pictures. They were mainly the only thing that actually captured my attention. They made me feel the jitters, unlike the words in the book. I have to give a hands to those pictures, because without them, I would have rated it one stars.


Overall, this book was just not for me, though I have heard many positive things about it. Everything either made me yawn or just ugh. I'm not saying everyone would despise it, but I sure did.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting!