Monday, January 14, 2013

The Lost Girl: Review

The Lost Girl
Author: Sangu Mandanna
Page Number:432
Publisher:Balzer + Bray
Source:Bought

Description:
Eva's life is not her own. She is a creation, an abomination--an echo. She was made by the Weavers as a copy of someone else, expected to replace a girl named Amarra, her "other," if she ever died. Eva spends every day studying that girl from far away, learning what Amarra does, what she eats, what it's like to kiss her boyfriend, Ray. So when Amarra is killed in a car crash, Eva should be ready.

But sixteen years of studying never prepared her for this.

Now she must abandon everything and everyone she's ever known--the guardians who raised her, the boy she's forbidden to love--to move to India and convince the world that Amarra is still alive.

What Eva finds is a grief-stricken family; parents unsure how to handle this echo they thought they wanted; and Ray, who knew every detail, every contour of Amarra. And when Eva is unexpectedly dealt a fatal blow that will change her existence forever, she is forced to choose: Stay and live out her years as a copy or leave and risk it all for the freedom to be an original. To be Eva.


Review:
This heart-wrenching story about unfairness, obedience, and love create a whole new meaning to the word Frankenstein.
Eva is a copy: just another twin to a person she doesn't even know. She knows what her life is like. What her friends, family, and school are like. But, Amarra keeps her true self hidden beneath the letters and tapes, along with a deep secret that she has also hidden from her family. The truth eventually comes out, but with a price. Amarra dies in a car accident with her newly unveiled boyfriend, who was driving the car. Ray, her boyfriend, is left unhurt, but not unscarred. Following, Eva is supposed to go be Amarra. That is what she was meant to do all her life. What she had been trained to do. See, she was created by The Weavers. They brag that they can create life and copy people. So, if one of their family members happened to die, they would have another copy lined up to replace them. But, Eva isn't Amarra. Has always been different than her. But, she has to prove to her new family that she can replace Amarra or else she won't be allowed to live anymore, since the Weavers created her only and specifically for that purpose.

This book was so tragic, and yet so hopeful all at the same time. But, what got me from the first page is how amazing Eva is. She had spunk to her. She wanted to be granted a life. A real lfe She would fight for it even. And that is what I admired so much about her. She was so honest and she cared so much about her own family even though she knew she would have to leave them one day.

Ray was caring, but what I didn't like about him was that he liked Eva just because she looked like Amarra. I understand that he missed Amarra, but he should care about Eva too, not like her just because she reminds him of Amarra. Maybe I misunderstood it, and he did actually care about Eva, but he never did seem to really like Eva for who she was. And that just pissed me off to say it simply.

Sean was a totally different story. From the very start, I really liked him. I knew that he really did like Eva for who she was. He was honest, trustworthy, and all the kind words I can think of. He also very smart and yet was very humorous at the same time. I just thought he was the perfect match for Eva.

The plot of the story, I thought, was very well planned out and the pacing was perfect. It would skip between days( the course of the whole book is about 12 months), but I never felt that there was something important that I had missed, so I didn't mind.

I loved how different this book was compared to any other I have read. How original and creative it is. I just almost can't describe my feelings for it. The words were simple, but they always seemed to have a hidden meaning underneath them. They made you think about things and wonder after you finish reading. In other words, this book will be unforgettable. That's why I highly recommend you people, who are reading this right now, to grab a copy this instant. I promise you won't regret it!

4/5

3 comments:

  1. I have just read this book myself and I loved it! The concept of the book was brilliant and the inspiration from Frankenstein was genius. I really didn't like Ray, his attitude towards an echo was horrible. Sean, hmmmm, I'll have him any day! Green-eyes and the love he felt for Eva was just.... Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review is great, and thanks to you I added this book to my to-read list (:
    I really should grab a copy of this book, because it seems like something I would like - different and original.

    Your blog is amazing. I'm a new follower :D
    Please check out my new blog
    www.wimpyteengirl.blogspot.com
    thanks (:

    Sapir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added to my "to-read" pile! I liked your review. You gave a lot of interesting details without giving away any spoilers. That can be hard to do. I've just started my own reading blog and have been looking around for interesting reading blogs to add to my feed. Glad I found yours. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!