Sunday, June 16, 2013

Spies and Prejudice: Review

Spies and PrejudiceFields’ Rule #1: Don’t fall for the enemy.

Berry Fields is not looking for a boyfriend. She’s busy trailing cheaters and liars in her job as a private investigator, collecting evidence of the affairs she’s sure all men commit. And thanks to a pepper spray incident during an eighth grade game of spin the bottle, the guys at her school are not exactly lining up to date her, either. 

So when arrogant—and gorgeous—Tanner Halston rolls into town and calls her “nothing amazing,” it’s no loss for Berry. She’ll forget him in no time. She’s more concerned with the questions surfacing about her mother’s death. 

But why does Tanner seem to pop up everywhere in her investigation, always getting in her way? Is he trying to stop her from discovering the truth, or protecting her from an unknown threat? And why can’t Berry remember to hate him when he looks into her eyes?

I'm not quite sure to say what to say about this book. It was okay? It had many flaws? Tanner was hot?

I'm going to first mention that Talia Vance wrote Silver, which I was really excited to read but never got the chance to read. So, when I won a copy of Spies and Prejudice I was ecstatic. It didn't meet my somewhat-high expectations, however.

Strawberry, or berry, our protagonist, is just an average girl, even if she does some spying. Really, I was expecting some sweet spying( like maybe some dangerous spying missions?), but in this book, spying all of a sudden became desperately lame. She does little things for her father, which really didn't seem to make her a "real" spy, but whatever. It was lame is all I'm saying.

Another thing, this book bored me out of my mind. I'm surprised I actually finished it. At some points, I would like this book, but about the other 80% I just stared at the book in helplessness.


Vance's writing is so very average. It was okay. I have no words, really, beyond that it was okay.


Tanner is our main love interest, and I say main, because there was about 2 other guys that she either wasn't sure she liked or just plain hated. Tanner was supposed to be compared to Mr. Darcy, which didn't make any sense, besides that he acted mean to her a "few times". Man, Berry can hold a grudge for a LONG while. Also, Vance seemed to only make Tanner sexy or hot. Vance never made me feel "Yeah, I am totally digging you." Mainly, it was "You are way to easy to be blended in the background."  Tanner was either an asshole or he liked Berry. I had a feeling he was bipolar.

I can't talk anymore about this, just because it makes me want to go punch a wall.


 Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!